Friday, March 27, 2009

How You Treat The Creation Is How You Feel About The Creator

“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.”
~Charles Swindoll

Life is always going to throw you curve balls, always. People are going to like you, people are going to hate you, you can run yourself in circles trying to please everybody. It's never going to get you anywhere in life.

There have been countless times where people have hurt, disappointed, agitated, pissed me off etc. I used to worry about such things, eventually, and I don't know what happened. I think something in me snapped and I got tired of feeling like I was under the control of other people. Some people would say jump and I was plead with how high? I think it was in 2005 something began to snap and in 2006 I finally said, "To hell with these people. Wish them the best, but you're gonna run my dry trying to appease you."

What these people were doing to me was 10% of my problem, how I was allowing it to trigger reactions in me was 90% of my problem. As the old saying goes... we're our own worst enemy.

Once I learned this my sympathy meter began to dwindle towards certain things. I'm not heartless by any means. But if you've done something insanely stupid, knowing it was stupid don't cry/complain to me about it. I'll pat you on the back and tell you to suck it up and deal with it. Kinda like the whole "You made your bed, now sleep in it" kind of thing.

.... maybe I'm just not that nice of a person. I'm well aware of this. I'd do just about anything for my friends, but I'm not going to encourage destructive behavior.

Just venting... now I'm hungry... maybe I'll elaborate later. Any insight?


No comments: